Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Change it is

Some semblance of peace reigns in the Chinese party after the elections that saw the former deputy winning the presidency despite his sex DVD-tainted past.
It would appear that the delegates have pushed that scandal aside and focused on the healing process that the party desperately needs. The delegates have answered the vital question - Sex or MCA? - that was posed by the new deputy's supporters in the run-up to the elections.
What was surprising was the victory of the vice-president, who wanted to be president, who is now the deputy.
Can the new president and his new deputy work together? Can the president and the Wanita chief, who is known to have been vehemently against him for being involved in the sex scandal, work with him now that he has been elected president?
That remains to be seen. 
For the benefit of the party and the Chinese community, it is essential for the new deputy and the incumbent Wanita chief to work with the president. More infighting is not needed and will make the weak party even weaker.
On the surface there is some semblance of peace, but beneath that outward calm there is a lot of horse-trading going on since the new president will have to reward his loyalists.
Some changes will occur in the party structure and some will involve positions outside the party.
For sure there will be a minor Cabinet reshuffle since the previous president, who is a Minister, no longer holds any party position and a former vice-president who is also in the Cabinet lost in his bid to be deputy president.
There may also be need to fill up vacant posts - or get rid of those loyal to the previous president - in companies that the party has investments in.
The next week or so should be interesting.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Crowded contest

Some 101 candidates vying for 31 posts in the Chinese party is a big crowd but it also means that democracy is alive and kicking.

The more the merrier, but it will be a headache for those counting the votes.

The incumbent president is wishfully hoping that he still has 40% support, based on the votes for him at the EGM and AGM, and is desperately wishing that the remaining 60% will be split more or less equally among the other two contestants and he will sneak in back to the president's post.

If that happens, it will mean that the entire Chinese opera has no positive conclusion and there will be a part two.

However, that is unlikely to happen. The talk is that he commands anything from 10-20% support and the former deputy is likely to be the victor, which is frankly the best result for the party.

What is more interesting would be the battle for the deputy presidency. The former vice-president who led his own faction will be taking on another vice president who is seen to be aligned to the former deputy president.

If the former deputy president can pull off a victory and get his supporters to vote for his "dishes" despite the reported absence of a "menu", then the former vice-president who was "promoted" to deputy could be booted out.

As for the vice-presidents' posts, it is likely that the leading female leader (who is not the Wanita head), someone from Sabah, someone from Selangor and someone from Kedah will win.

If the confirmed line-up is something like the above, then there is a good chance that the Chinese party will be able to win back some Chinese support.

If not, then it is likely that MCA will be the next MIC.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Three's a crowd

As expected, it will be a three-cornered fight for the presidency of the Chinese party.

What was not expected was the former president stepping into the ring in an attempt - ill-advised or not - to bring normalcy back to the party that he left after leading it to heavy losses in the March 8 2008 general elections.

So the former deputy president will take on two former presidents for the presidency.

Meanwhile, the former vice-president will go for the deputy presidency.

The faction led by the former vice-president had linked up with the faction led by the former deputy president to force the fresh party elections.

What the (newer) former president probably is thinking is that with a three-cornered fight, those opposing him will be split into two which may make it possible for him to sneak back into the presidency.

Let's say the former president gets 40% of the delegates' votes and the remaining 60% is split almost equally between the other two contenders, he will retain his post as president.

Will that solve the problems affecting the party?

My view is that if the (newer) former president manages to win, it will be back to square one for the party because it was his management style that led to the problems in the first place even though he may argue that he inherited the problems from the (older) former president.

The best way out for the party is to give the job to the former deputy president, despite his DVD-stained past, as he has shown the best leadership qualities among the three contestants.

We will find out tomorrow (March 22) who the contenders for the other posts are and we should be able to gauge if there is hope yet for the Chinese party to continue to serve the community.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Finally, the final chapter

And so after all these months, something is happening to the leading Chinese political party.

Frankly, the majority of the Chinese community has not been too bothered about what had been happening to the party that purportedly represents them and had been busy tossing their yee sang and tucking into sumptuous meals during the Chinese New Year celebrations.

Eversince the party president went back on his word and did not resign when he did not receive a vote of confidence for his leadership, most of the Chinese had switched off their attention. 

Even when the vice-president and his band of followers threatened to boycott the party's CNY functions the Chinese did not bother to pay any attention to the goings-on in the party.

The reaction was like "So, problem not yet solved ah?" and it was back to the daily chores of life.

Yesterday, the deputy president and his supporters and the vice-president and his supporters have finally decided to resign and force fresh elections.

Indeed fresh elections would be the best way to solve the leadership crisis in the party.
What is interesting now is which post the (now ex-) deputy and vice presidents would go for. And would the incumbent president call it a day and fade away or would he make a last stand and go for the presidency again?

Observers say the president will try his luck again - after all he (thinks he) has the support of almost half the delegates. If he wins, everyone will have to shut up. However, whether the Chinese community - or other Malaysians - will be satisfied is another matter.

Chances are the fight for the presidency will be three-cornered - the incumbent will be in the ring and so will the ex-deputy president. The third candidate could either be the ex-vice-president or someone from his camp.

What is likely to happen is the ex-vice-president will go for the vice-presidency and send a representative for the presidency to split the votes and possibly even win.

Frankly, the best result for the Chinese community would be for the ex-deputy to become the president despite his colourful (and widely-seen sinful) past.

"MCA or sex" read one banner during the party's CNY gathering. I think given the political scenario now, the Chinese community would forgive the ex-deputy for his sexcapades for the sake of MCA.

The ex-deputy appears to have the political skills to navigate the tricky path of fighting for Chinese causes whilst working with Malay-Muslims.

He seems to be the only leader in the Chinese party now who can convince some Chinese voters to abandon the Pakatan cause and hop back to the Barisan side.

For that, the Malay politicians will also forgive him for his sexcapades. After all, how many Malay politicians and leaders have been rumoured to have been caught in khalwat raids with Malay actresses, singers and models?